Alex Kontorovich - Rough Structure and Classification, Revisited

See Tim Gowers' publications list https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~wtg10/papers.html where you can get a PostScript copy of this 200 paper:

This was my attempt to do the `Hilbert thing', at a conference in Tel Aviv in 1999 entitled Visions in Mathematics . I start with some speculations about computers - I think that before too long they will have a much more serious role to play in helping mathematicians to find proofs, or even finding proofs for themselves. I then make some general remarks about what I call `rough structure' and `rough classification' in combinatorics, stating several problems that I find interesting. In a final section, I give a more miscellaneous list of (mostly well known) open problems that I would love to see solved. Unlike Hilbert, I do not intend my list of problems to have a major influence on the course of mathematics in the next century - it is just a list of problems that I like.  See Tim Gowers Talking About Human-Oriented Automated Theorem Proving.

He's going to try teaching some hgh-school students in New Jersey to formalise book I of Euclid's Elements using Jeremy Avigad's A Formal System for Euclid's Elements. See https://github.com/ah1112/synthetic_euclid_4, and this podcast with André Hernández-Espiet.

42:49 He's quite explicitly looking at this as a way to feed Alpha Proof with human input. And on the business with LaTeX/TeX maintaining itself from now on, using AI. Well, let's wait and see. I don't think he has even a faint clue what is going on underneath systems like Overleaf.
 

Subscribe to INI.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Could One Unify CMU and MIT

Tensor Fields and Simplicial Complexes

HTML in Blog Posts