Tim Maudlin with an Interesting Idea About Relativity

Yesterday while listening to Tim Maudlin: Physics and Physical Phenomena I was struck by his idea that (1:40:09) he found he could do a path-counting procedure on 2+1 dimensional spacetime and recover an invariant that appeared like a relativistic interval.  Google go to great lengths to prevent people from accessing the text of the transcripts:

See On the Emergence of Both Relativistic Structure and a Global Foliation from Discrete Space-Time. I wondered why this didn't automatically apply to 3+1 dimensional spacetime too. I guess because he imagines a pre-existing lattice of some kind and the combinatorics are unmanageable. My thought was that maybe something like this would work inside a procedure which was effectively a completion process on a measure space as well. This would not have occurred to Maudlin because he's a realist! See David Albert Talking Complete Nonsense.

I found the above ERC talk he did on 2022:


Subscribe to PROTEUS

And here he is talking about the methodology of something he calls 'actual physics':

In slogan form: "A physical model describes what it is and what it does". See More History of London.


Subscribe to Laws of Nature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Could One Unify CMU and MIT

Tensor Fields and Simplicial Complexes

HTML in Blog Posts