ICFP 2026
See ICFP 2026 Program. I just caught the end of an interesting talk by Hongshuo Fan who has been experimenting with musical gesture recognition. That would be interesting to try in collaborative composition projects too. Also Jared Gentner on what sounds to me like an interesting way to compose languages. It definitely works for performance programming!
There was also a miniKanren thread. See William Byrd on Relational Programming and Quines. Starts at 1:18:34. At 3:08:42 Towards bottom-up enumeration in miniKanren via pruning and memoization. At 6:04:44 Compiling polymorphic relations without monomorphization. 6:52:18 Efficient Rational Unification for miniKanren. Questions & Answers at 7:26:12. 8:14:53 Lean, Mean miniKanren Machine. 9:03:12 Q&A.
Subscribe to ACM SIGPLAN.
Also, tomorrow at 9AM Edward Lee on Deterministic Concurrency.
It is not uncommon, particularly in the early literature in computer science, to equate concurrency with nondeterminism and to treat the two together as a profound difficulty encountered when trying to understand programs. ... In this talk, I argue for interpreting determinism as a property of models, not as a property of physical systems. I will then argue that, contrary to almost all current practice, determinism has immense value in concurrent and distributed software systems. Moreover, I will show that deterministic models do not intrinsically come with a performance penalty and that they make the design of fault-tolerant systems easier, not harder.
See his book Deterministic Concurrency and here's a talk he gave three years ago:
My comment:
I'm looking forward to hearing your ICFP talk tomorrow. We badly need some of this technology in stock market trading systems to shut down the high-frequency trading crooks like Jane Street who sponsor the ICFP event. [35:00]
He wrote a book entitled Plato and the Nerd:
46:06 Interesting question about models and what a Turing Machine is a model of. (It was supposed to be a model of an effective method of calculation.)
Subscribe to Edward Lee.
Subscribe to Steve Mold (I don't)
Comments
Post a Comment