Sukyoung Ryu - Programming Language Research for Technical and Social Good (KAIST)
Developing mechanized specifications for JavaScript, WebAssembly, and P4. This is what I meant by Metaprogramming and it works. This project was funded by the Korean Government. I wish I could pay them my income tax.
See https://wasm-dsl.github.io/spectec/ and https://github.com/es-meta/esmeta.
Jihyeok Park - Trusted JavaScript Language Environments with ESMeta. See https://github.com/es-meta/esmeta
Xiaohong Chen - Programming Languages Must Have Formal Semantics. Period. See https://kframework.org/
The panel discussion on Real-World Programming Languages
The Rust guy goes on and on and on. Definitely too much 'real-world' there. The problem is a huge chunk of what some people call the real world is just what Edsger W. Dijkstra called "Getting lost in complexities of your own making" and a lot of the real world just isn't in the purview of programming language and operating system designers at all because it is completely and utterly beyond reach. I mean the stuff I mentioned in Programming Paradigms, but also how organisations can effectively use computer communications without needing to employ 'experts' to write and maintain buggy code full of security vulnerabilities. There is a nice example of such an application at 22:23 what they are able to do is specify an application domain (hospital admissions system) formally and generate software and documentation which, at least in principle, could be formally formally verified against that. To see the significance of this discussion it helps to know P4 targets hardware like https://netfpga.org/.
Subscribe to ACM SIGPLAN.
Comments
Post a Comment