David Lynch's Weather Report Project Report Project

 See Terence McKenna and John Searle.


See my comment which was prompted by a great scientific biography of Tycho Brahe that I once read. It was a loan from a friend of my ex-wife. It was a marvellous book about the origins of observational astronomy. It mentioned nothing at all about the mystical Alchemy that these guys like Brahe and Kepler were all into. Their observational projects were just to support their alchemichal investigations, I think, and all of that part of their work has been 'lost'. The thing is, that by reading just a chronological account of their concrete actions I was able to imagine the character of the people behind those actions, and at was inspiring, even though I had no notion of what it was that they were actually trying to do!!! This reminds me of that paiting by Raphael of Aristotle and Plato, part of the fresco called The School of Athens which he painted in the Pope's private library in the Vatican Palace, which was from around that time.

Aristotle is gesturing towards "That which is better nown to us", the earth, and Plato is pointing up at "That which is better known in itself", i.e. the heavens. Aristotle in his physics says that in scientific investigation, we should proceed from that which is better known to us towards that which is better known in itself. I think then the conclusion is pretty imediate, for him, by the definition of God he gives in Metaphysics. This is a scene from the Netflix movie I'd love to see, The Two Popes:

Subscribe to David Lynch Theater.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023

Live Science - Leonardo da Vinci's Ancestry