My Tools

My mother just sent me a photo of an early tool. I remember picking this up in the car park at Robberg, but I was never personally totally convinced that it was actually a real early stone-age hand axe. It was curiously smooth on the rounded side. I don't recall much of that visit to the Port Elizabeth museum either, but I take my mother's word for it, and I am fairly sure now that it really is my mother with whom I'm communicating by e-mail. So this is progress. Now let's start talking about prophesies and objects of thought: see Richard Sorabji on Aristotle's Notion of "Finite But Unbounded".


She wrote:

The date you picked up the hand axe was a month or two before we left for New Zealand. You'll remember we took it to the Port Elizabeth Museum to ask what it was and were told it was a early stone age hand axe and we could keep it as they had a whole roomfull of them at the museum. (you were captivated by the array of human skulls displayed on the wall behind the curator.)  

The axe came with us to NZ and had to be fumigated with other items capable of harbouring potentially damaging African soil particles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023

Live Science - Leonardo da Vinci's Ancestry