Hilbert's 24th Problem

I learned about this from Emily Riehl's Category Theory in Context which she seems to have written when she was in the USA. She mentions Hilbert's 24th Problem in a footnote.

I've made a clone of my github metaprogramming repository here: https://github.com/Ian-Grant/metaprogramming. I think it should run on the Moscow ML fork I have at https://github.com/Ian-Grant/mosml/. This has a minor code-compatible change to the SML 97 standard which, if Meta.utf8 is true, explicitly allows UTF8-encoded ASCII in string literals and which extends the character syntax with an escape sequence for convenience in specifying Unicode UCS characters up to 24 bits lomg using the escape \u+xxxxxx, where x is a hexadecimal digit in the range [0-9A-Fa-f]. In addition it will accept \uxxxxxx, which is really a bug. The change affects the lexical analysis phase and performs a check that only valid UTF8-encoded characters appear, and in the pretty-printing unit PP which correctly accounts for the spacing when multi-octet encoded characters appear in the output. I will prepare a suggested change for https://github.com/SMLFamily/Successor-ML/wiki some time, and make one further suggestion for a change in the syntax of the Unit specification language to allow extensions to be built for metaprogramming which extensions are themselves compiled Standard ML programs which produce the input for subsequent stages, and so on and so forth, ... See also David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023.

See Proofs and Types by Girard, Lafont and Taylor. which you can read here: https://www.paultaylor.eu/stable/prot.pdf. See also Numberphile - Sophie Maclean on the Catalan Numbers.

Here's an explanation.


I should have said "My fork" not "My clone" of Moscow ML. See Bill Gosper, Continued Fractions and The Dragon Curve. Also, I just checked, and I don't know why I thought she was at Cambridge at all, it's just she was talking about Cambridge category theorists, and I assumed she was at Cambridge. The funny thing about Cambridge is how separate the Computer Laboratory is from the Mathematics Departments, or maybe that was just me imagining it. I very rarely saw Maths people at the Computer Lab, even thogh it was only a few blocks away. I guess I didn't often go to the CMS either, except for a few seminars.

Here's the version I looked at in the video: https://math.jhu.edu/~eriehl/161/context.pdf.

Scottish tour guide doesn't give a f*ck, ...

I did fall and hit my head, but I was wearing a climbing helmet at the time, and it was OK, ... just a bit scary.

Subscribe to Eleanor Morton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Hestenes - Tutorial on Geometric Calculus

David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023

Modeling Probability Distributions and Solving Differential Equations