Why Does Light Behave Like Particles?

From Richard Feynman's book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter 

But why are the detectors where they are? Here is air behaving like particles:

Unfortunately my computer algebra system isn't well-enough developed  to show you the maths behind this, yet.

See The Action Lab - Ulexite (How Does Television Stone Work?) and Sabine Hossenfelder on The Origin of Life. I was looking for a post where I mentioned Maxwell's earlier work on a vortex picture of electromagnetism but I can't find it. Instead, here's Terence Tao and Richard Feynman and Prof. Shamik Gupta - From Fireflies to Power Grids: The Physics of Spontaneous Synchronization. And there's a madman in Ireland somewhere with a pile of python code and electronic circuits that do synchronised oscillation and he is using path integrals to describe this. It was a bit much for me to take in at the time but he could be onto something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Could One Unify CMU and MIT

Tensor Fields and Simplicial Complexes

HTML in Blog Posts