I Got Bit at the Bring 'n Byte Yesterday

I walked in the door and there was this BBC Model B, with a sturdy Watford Electronics carrying case, and it came with a free Cumana 5 1/4" Floppy Disk Drive. Well, I thought I would spend the rest of my life kicking myself if I didn't buy this, and it feels like I'm hitting the reset button on my life and going back to 1982 when my parents bought me my first computer, which was a BBC model A. I used it for graphics programming and learned to write 3D vector graphics programs from Ian O. Angell's book. See Ian Grant's Weather Report August 04, 2022.

Back to England:


It was the HH Tiger, or Tigress, there seems to be some equivocation here, ...

See Alan Sugar at the Cambridge Union for some more context.

So now I am looking up what the BBC Micro's Tube™ was about: What's the TUBE interface of the BBC micro all about? The problem I had as a kid trying to do this stuff on a BBC with 32KB of RAM was that the screen memory took up most of the RAM and left only a few KB for the code, which was all written in BBC Basic.

Now I see I can solve this by fitting a Raspberry Pi Zero with this Raspberry Pi Co-Processor Tube HAT adapter board, for the BBC Micro range Model B, B+ and Master 128.

And it sounds like I will be able to run OpenBSD on this! See OpenBSD News.

Then there is an interesting Raspberry Pi Zero application to resample the BBC TTL RGB signals and display them on an HDMI-connected display: https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/wiki. So we could probably do this with a Tayloe detector:  101 Things - Raspberry Pi Pico Software Defined Radio.

See also Benefits of Coherent Demodulation for Eavesdropping on HDMI Emissions Dimitrije Erdeljan, Markus G. Kuhn

So I seem to have managed to establish some contact with Cambridge University, at last, but via the sixteenth century. The long way home, indeed! Eng-Fi Short - The Doddleston Messages. Markus just pointed out that the Movie Economy is booming here right now. Trying to guess what they're filming at Vauxhall Bridge today is not easy! I guessed maybe Wasteman or Slow Horses. See 2024 film and high-end TV productions shooting in the UK and Ireland: latest updates.

Fasten your seat-belts, ladies and gentlemen:

Love on A Real Train (Tangerine Dream Cover)


Subscribe to State Azure.

See Ian Grant's Weather Report July 23, 2022.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Science - Leonardo da Vinci's Ancestry

David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023