PhD War Stories Time

I'm sure there's a happy ending here somewhere, it's just there are so many strings around the place you can't see the Ball!

This is the argument I had with Roger Bishop Jones, who retired from the UK defence industry where he had worked on verified formal systems for the British computer manufacturer ICL which span off into an enterprise named Lemma One run by a guy called Rob Arthan. See https://mathoverflow.net/users/8187. His job involved a port of Mike Gordon's HOL theorem prover to Ada.

Subscribe to Sabine Hossenfelder.

And I still don't have a PhD. See Terence Tao on Mathematics and AI. Not that I'm too fussed:

I sent this to Philippa Gardner at Imperial, asking her about whether she worked for Ubiquity UniFi and telling her about my awful hack job on the OpenBSD TCP/IP stack and my Standard ML hack of a VPN with QEmu emulated OpenBSD hosts for servers. I also asked her whether Raspberry Pi was the new Ferranti. I didn't say anything about Brazilian Battleships though.

Toby was doing a Physics PhD at Cambridge, but ...

Subscribe to Tibees.

Here's a beautiful lecture on sanity by Joan Rand Moschovakis, see Joan Rand Moschovakis – A Logical Look at Kripke's Idea of Free Choice Sequences :

Saul Kripke died 15 September 2022. I was in an isolation cell in a prison in Arizona at the time, and when  they transferred me to Louisiana a week later they didn't mention Kripke, but they told me Queen Elizabeth II had died.

Subscribe to UConn Logic Group.

Here my YouTube recommendations

Subscribe to Sabine Hossenfelder.

Subscribe to Quanta Magazine.

I got up before dawn this morning and went for a walk with Nick Cave and Daniel Greenberg:

Subscribe to Daniel Greenberg.

Well, my ontologies are a bit all over the place today, ... See Sabine Hossenfelder on Brian Greene's Quantum Computer Modeling String Theory Hype.

See Toby Reads A Mathematician's Lament.

David Gilmour - Luck and Strange Rehearsal

Subscribe to David Gilmour.

See Jeremy Narby Talking About His Book "The Cosmic Serpent" for the other side of the story. This is a butterfly post by Polly Samson. See Jane Street Capital. The people in Bolivia seemed more real to me than people do here. It's just how I saw it, maybe. See David Quintieri on William White's Recent Comments About Central Banks Monetary Policy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Science - Leonardo da Vinci's Ancestry

David Turner Obituary by Sarah Nicholas Fri 24 Nov 2023